Having one’s own children is happiness that every couple thinks of. Most couples are indeed blessed with this and also have great fertility to give birth to their offspring. But, for some, fertility is a real big problem that excludes them from perceiving naturally.
Luckily, with the attention upon medical advancement, treatment methods have indeed been improved that can help or support in conceiving. The two most common conception methods are IUI or Intra-Uterine Insemination as well as IVF treatment. Since those who opt for these treatments often have difficulty in conceiving, it is necessary that couples must know the Do’s & Don’ts after IUI procedure to increase their chances of conceiving a healthy baby.
Things to be careful about after IUI treatment.
An Individual has to validate that the sperm gets deposited inside the recipient’s uterus. The patient is asked to lie down for about 20 to 30 minutes. However, since one’s cervix almost tends to directly close after an IUI procedure, lying down is quite comforting as well as helpful for the success of the IUI procedure. Given below are clear descriptions of Do’s & Don’ts after IUI procedure.
- Actually, getting back to my usual routine after the IUI procedure on the very same day is not a problem. One can start working out or even run errands almost directly, in case one is content with it.
- There is no necessity for bed rest, travel limitations or even diet care after IUI procedure. In case one feels like resting or in case one experiences pain after the IUI procedure, one can take rest for a few days.
- There is no limit in having sexual intercourse right after the IUI treatment. Actually, it will certainly help aid the procedure and will deliver positive results.
- In case there is bleeding while the procedure is on then one needs to avoid sexual intercourse for about 48 hours.
- Just in case there is pain or even cramping which is felt after the given process, one needs to avoid NSAIDs or pain relievers.
- Couples must not panic about one’s pregnancy as it does take a few attempts and actually wait for about two weeks prior to taking a test. This is because the implantation of the given embryo takes in fact a few days after the ovulation has occurred. Likewise, the increase in the levels of one’s hormones again does take a few days and only then the hormone levels do change and one will then be able to get proper results.
- In order to support the process of implantation of the given embryo, the clinician might, in fact, provide hormonal supplements. These certainly can be in the form of medicines given orally or to be introduced via the vagina as suppositories.
- One should avoid swimming for about 48 hours although there is no indication of swimming interfering in the IUI procedure.
Diet and Lifestyle Changes Related with IUI
If you opt for the IUI or IVF process, you need to follow certain dietetic and lifestyle changes.
- Consume as much fruit, nuts and leafy vegetables as possible
- Eat fresh and home-cooked food
- Do not eat processed foods
- Do not consume fish with too much mercury
- Eat small meals every day
- Include quinoa, brown rice and other complex carbohydrates in the diet
- Avoid eating hot, spicy foods, foods that cause more heartburn.
- Avoid fruits like grapes, papaya and pineapple because they have the ability to break down the endometrial layer and make you bleed. This can cause miscarriage.
Though there are contradictory views on this, it is best to check with your doctor.
Don’ts after IUI Procedure
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Cut your tea, coffee or caffeine intake to about 2-3 cups a day or less
- Stay far from any type of radiation
- Evade sitting on the floor, rapidly leaning forward or backward, or doing anything that puts a burden on your lower abdomen, especially after IVF.
- Just in case you need to bend over to pick up something on the floor, it is best to bend your knees, get down and take it instead of bending over to the waist.
- Stop wearing anything over 5 kg in weight. Ensure to hold the object close to your body to make sure you have a good balance and minimize the risk of falling.
- Evade climbing the stairs too much and too fast.
- Stop traveling more than 2-3 hours in a row.
- Get sufficient sleep. It takes at least 8 hours of sleep.
- The period after the embryo transfer is very significant. Constantly have enough rest in bed. Antenatal care is very significant at this stage.
Evading travel is a great way to reduce the risk of failure of IUI and IVF procedures. At the moment, it should be stated that if IUI or IVF, you could not have done anything to succeed. No precise diet, substitute therapy, technique or practice could have guaranteed it. So, you should not blame yourself. But these tips will surely help you improve your chances.
It is clear that one does need to follow required precautions after one has undergone IUI procedure. One wants to consult the doctor also in order to ensure that one does have to face any health problems after the IUI procedure has been done.